[App_rpt-users] USB Adapter has no EEPROM installed

Fred Moore fred at fmeco.com
Sun Nov 1 19:56:58 UTC 2015

Cory, You might have your hearing checked, you most likely think d-star
sounds good also.

I never said USBradio was horrible, simply said usbradio audio is
superior.  It's a subjective thing, most can hear the difference..
obviously you can't or you would not have made such a statement...

The only answer to the argument you want.. Fred

On 11/1/15 12:54 PM, Corey Dean wrote:
> What degraded audio?  I have ran many many test and have yet to find
> this 'degraded audio'.    I have heard people talk about it but have
> yet seen any proof...
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Nov 1, 2015, at 12:32 PM, Fred Moore <fred at fmeco.com
> <mailto:fred at fmeco.com>> wrote:
>
>> Larry can't answer #1.
>> I simply program the radio to provide what I want on the accessory
>> connector, then there is no EEPROM needed.
>>
>> As for answer #2
>> When you have COS and CTCSS (PL) available use simpleUSB it not only
>> requires less processing power, it also does not suffer from degraded
>> audio.
>>
>> Just add the file and stanza you need..
>>
>> regards.. Fred
>>
>> On 11/1/15 6:21 AM, Larry da Ponte wrote:
>>> Two questions for the group:
>>>
>>> #1 I'm seeing this in my /var/log/asterisk - I'm using a DMK URI
>>> with EEPROM and a Motorola GM300 with one of Marshall's Motorola
>>> Maxtrac, GM300 and M120 16 Pin Radio to URI cables.
>>>
>>> [Nov  1 11:30:05] NOTICE[6852] chan_usbradio.c: USB Adapter has no
>>> EEPROM installed or Checksum BAD on channel usb42372
>>>
>>> I understand that the benefit of the DMK URI with EEPROM is that the
>>> interface configuration can be stored in the URI as apposed to
>>> (where else?) - is this URI EEPROM feature taken advantage of with
>>> app_rpt and associated drivers?
>>>
>>> #2 How do I choose which channel driver to use - simpleusb or
>>> USBRadio?  From what I've been able to learn through varius wikis
>>> and posts on the subject, I would want to use simpleusb because all
>>> of the hardware connections for COS and CTCSS are provided so there
>>> is no reason to use the DSP features of USBRadio thus simplifying
>>> what the driver has to do and perhaps lowering the CPU utilization.
>>> I've also read some posts that describe audio degredation in the
>>> USBRadio driver but I can't tell you the cause.  I expect the right
>>> answer here is for me to try out both and experiment - which I will
>>> do but would appreciate any wisdome from the group on their
>>> experience with these drivers when using the DMK URI and hardware
>>> connections for COS/CTCSS.  My current configuration below is
>>> getting favorable audio reports.
>>>
>>> I have no simpleusb.conf in my /etc/asterisk
>>> I have usbradio.conf and usbradio_tune_usb42372.conf
>>>
>>> I have the following in my rpt.conf: rxchannel=Radio/usb42372
>>>
>>> I have the following in my usbradio.conf:
>>>
>>> [usb42372]
>>>
>>> hdwtype=0
>>> rxboost=1
>>> txboost=1