[App_rpt-users] Why no callsign validation

Tim Sawyer tisawyer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 17:42:21 UTC 2015

We do validate AllStar users at sign up. We check QRZ.com and/or FCC or
foregin databases. If we can't find them in one of those places then we ask
for a copy of their license. This approach is expedient and convenient. And
there are no issues with unlicensed AllStar accounts.

Of course, other networks will run things the way they want to. If they
disallow AllStar connections because we do not ask every station for a copy
of their license, that's up to them. But we will not be changing our
perfectly adequate procedures.

On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 8:50 AM, Skyler F <electricity440 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On AllStar link, you don't have to send in a PDF anymore of your license.
> If I remember correctly, I had to send a picture of my license at one
> point.
>
> Personally I don't care, I find it a lot easier to not have to send in
> this, but is that why EchoLink now does not want people to have it on their
> node anymore?
>
> I just think it might be easy for unlicensed trolls to get on the air
> under someone else's call. I have personally validated 3 call-signs for
> various clubs and a friend and it was pretty easy to register because I
> didn't even need to ask the club for their license electronic copy / photo.
>
> Again, I don't have a problem with this, and I believe if you can buy a 30
> dollar chinese radio, and get on the air without a call-sign, it's not much
> different doing the same on the internet with VoIP, but I want to know what
> other people think about the subject. Is this one of the reasons why Dave
> cameron banned AllStar from IRLP?
>
> Skyler KD0WHB

> the list detailing the problem.

Tim