[App_rpt-users] monthly bandwidth usage

Andrew Sylthe asylthe at kc9ona.com
Tue Oct 20 19:13:03 UTC 2015

Hello Bryan,

The G.711 codec uses 64 kbps (roughly 87.2 kbps with the overhead).  So
let's just go with an over estimate of 100 kbps.  In this example, if your
node were connected to 1 other node for 24 hours straight, the amount of
data usage would be roughly equal to 1.03 Gigabytes.  This is assuming your
not using the bandwidth for anything else.  Choosing to use a higher
compression codec would significantly reduce the amount of bandwidth
consumed by your node connections.

An average may be hard to come up with.  Some systems have multiple
persistent connections going at all times.  Other systems may be lucky to
get 10 hours of connection time a month.

I believe these numbers are within the ballpark, but someone please let me
know if I'm off somewhere.

Thanks!

--
Andrew Sylthe