[App_rpt-users] AMBE question

Steve N4IRS szingman at msgstor.com
Thu Oct 29 13:38:03 UTC 2015

When we did the DMR to AllStar testing, we used the NW Digital Radio
DV3000. It was mounted on a RPi2 running asterisk.
The DV3000 uses AMBE-3000 vocoder chip from DVSI. We tested with
Mototrbo and D-Star. Did not have a Fusion or P25 radios.

73, Steve N4IRS

On 10/29/2015 8:03 AM, David McGough wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I haven't looked carefully as to which variants of AMBE are in use by
> D-STAR, Fusion, etc...Doesn't the original AMBE patent expire fairly soon?
>
> The reason I'm asking is that I know there are some fledgling open-source
> AMBE implementations out there.  A couple years ago I hacked CODEC2 into
> Asterisk for experimentation, thinking about directly linking to HF via
> the FreeDV project--and, not wanting to transcode from one low-bandwidth
> CODEC to another, making truly awful audio!
>
> After playing with it a few weeks, I didn't do much more...(I've still
> got that code and it still works, if anyone wants to play with it?)
>
> ...Just wondering.
>
> 73, David KB4FXC
>

> On Thu, 29 Oct 2015, Matthew Pitts wrote:
>
>> Mike,
>>
>> You are correct in the statement that the DV4mini needs additional
> hardware to handle the transcoding from a digital radio. Once I get my
> nodes back up on my Raspberry Pi, I will work on an updated version of
> the D-STAR channel driver that supports DMR and Fusion AMBE encoding and
> decoding as well as radio control functionality for the DV4mini.
>> Matthew Pitts
>> N8OHU
>>
>> On October 28, 2015 6:18:34 PM EDT, Mike Zingman <mike.zingman at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Actually the DV4Mini alone does not help tie Allstar into Wires-X.  In
>>> order to do that one must:
>>>
>>> 1) Have an interface to the YSF network protocol
>>> 2) Decode and extract the AMBE frames from the streamed protocol
>>> 3) Transcode the frames to PCM at the proper sample rate using the DVSI
>>> AMBE3000 chipset
>>> 4) Send those frames to something like the already created USRP channel
>>> driver
>>>
>>> In reverse, 4, 3, 2, 1 to send data back to the YSF network.  In
>>> addition
>>> to the simple outline above, you would want to
>>> a) Add audio filtering/shaping to make the AMBE audio more acceptable
>>> what we are used to on Allstar (one of the single greatest aspects of
>>> Allstar is the audio quality)
>>> b) Transfer of as much metadata between the networks as possible
>>>
>>> The DV4Mini is a radio module + digital modulator (DStar/DMR/YSF).  It
>>> has
>>> no AMBE encode/decode hardware so there is no way to transcode the
>>> audio
>>> content.  For that a "ThumbDV" or a DV3000 would be the hardware of