[App_rpt-users] text to speech /google_tts

George Csahanin george at dyb.com
Sun Sep 6 00:40:21 UTC 2015

Trying to get weather stuff running on a new RPi and it isn't flying. I
have chased it to the Google side. The snippets of words get sent to
google translator, and mp3 files come back, and the script sticks all
the files together in order. But the routine fails in lame conversion. I
have taken other mp3's and lame converts them fine. When I try to run
either the assembled mp3 or one of the individual mp3 files I get header
error on them. Also noted that the individual files, maybe 50-80 of them
are only about 400 bytes long and after cat puts them together the file
is maybe 50k, which sounds wrong. I didn't do anything to this stuff,
just using what was in Doug's Raspberry Pi distro, which otherwise works
great.

Anybody have any suggestions on this conversion? I see older versions of
w0anm's scripts do not sent the text to Google for conversion but
instead use one of two applications to convert them. Guessing the choice
to move it off the pi was based on processor horsepower.

GeorgeC
W2DB
2360