[App_rpt-users] VPN for node behind NAT?

Tom Hayward tom at tomh.us
Fri Aug 5 19:34:53 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 11:58 AM, Tom Hayward <tom at tomh.us> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 11:50 AM, Steve Agee <n5zua at earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Has anyone made any notes or videos on how to install and configure both
>> ends of OpenVPN, or is it "so easy, even an idiot can do it"?
>>
>> N5ZUA
>
> I'm working through this tutorial now:
> https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-an-openvpn-server-on-ubuntu-14-04
>
> DigitalOcean usually has quality, generic tutorials for things like
> this. So far, all of the commands and package names have been 100%
> compatible with DIAL.

Okay, not completely true. I ignored the whole section on ufw, because
DIAL doesn't have ufw. Also, when you get to the point of starting the
service, rather than service openvpn start, the command on DIAL is:

systemctl start openvpn at server.service

This assumes your config file is /etc/openvpn/server.conf. For
/etc/openvpn/xxx.conf, you would do systemctl start
openvpn at xxx.service.

Tom KD7LXL