[App_rpt-users] Squelch tail elimination

Jon Rorke jrorke at cogeco.ca
Tue Aug 9 12:45:52 UTC 2016

If you are using the Dial or ACID distros, then you can set your node to
usbradio.

When set to usbradio a sw squelch can be used. The SW squelch has a fast
squelch for 20 db quieting signals and a slow squelch for noisy signals.
it mimics the Motrola smart squelch action and works very well. No need
audio squelch delay.

In usbradio.conf, set carrierfrom=dsp and rxdemod=flat.

Connect your radio discriminator to the URI/FOB RX audio input.

Restart asterisk to load the new config.

Then at the cli do a full alignment for the RX audio,

Do a radio tune rxnoise (with no rx signal on the receiver)
Do a Radio tune rxvoice (with a 1K tone @ 3k deviation with full
quieting signal in receiver)
and radio tune save.

Then do a radio tune rxsquelch to see the current setting of the sw squelch:

AST_2249_XCN*CLI> radio tune rxsquelch
Current Signal Strength is 799
Current Squelch setting is 500
AST_2249_XCN*CLI>

Set you squelch to about the current signal strength +50 as a rule of
thumb.

Set the squelch to 850:

radio tune rxsquelch 850

radio tune save

AST_2249_XCN*CLI> radio tune rxsquelch
Current Signal Strength is 799
Current Squelch setting is 850
AST_2249_XCN*CLI>

Test the squelch setting to see how it works.
Repeat above squelch command as required to set squelch to taste.

Then once you are happy with the squelch level, do a final save

radio tune save

If you have to use simpleusb then you are stuck with the logic from the
radios cor/cas.

In which case the rxaudio delay may work. I dont know if it works on
Acid or DIAL but looks like its implemented in other images.

Someone may be able to elaborate more on that set up.

Cheers!

Jon VA3RQ