[App_rpt-users] Building a "network"

Robert Newberry N1XBM at amsat.org
Fri Jul 8 19:08:01 UTC 2016

I have a network here in Maine with a half dozen repeaters with a mix of
analog and digital repeaters. I mostly hang a router at the site, set the
port forwards and I'm off an running.

Since I plan on expanding my network if it would make more sense to use VPN
routers and put all of my equipment/sites on the same subnet. Although I
don't know all of the ins and outs of this. Such as one site in particular
I was given my own static IP on a fiber connection and I supplied a router.
Other sites I am plugged into the same router as other equipment that does
not belong to me.

Security is something I need to get better at such using things like
fail2ban which I haven't sat down to figured out yet. I've even wondered if
anyone would be willing to do a "talk" on this.

I would be interested in other people's opinions.

N1XBM
Apparare Scientor
Paratus Communicare
Allstar Node # 27086, 41540, 41812, 42086, 42658, 42657
www.radioguysrepeaternetwork.com