[App_rpt-users] Building a "network"

Stephen - K1LNX k1lnx at k1lnx.net
Fri Jul 8 20:59:58 UTC 2016

Hi Robert,
     We run a small statewide DMR (MOTOTRBO) network and use OpenVPN on
Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite's at all of our repeater sites, and peer them all
back to a Ubiquiti Edgerouter Pro, it works like a champ. We allocated a
/24 to each site in the 172.18.x.x range and kept the IP scheme consistent
for each piece of gear. We don't allow access to anything outside of our
VPN, everything is funneled in and out on our core router. Most of our
sites are on LTE connections so this was the best option we could find.

Ideally, if you have a site with a static IP and fiber, you could locate
your core router there, and have that be the OpenVPN "server" with the rest
being "clients". If you setup a certificate based VPN, you can issue certs
for each site and when config'd properly it will connect to the server with
no port forwarding needed, just outbound internet access on UDP 1194 by
default. We chose the Ubiquiti gear to make it simple to deploy, but you
could easily do it with a standard linux install as well.

Hope that helps or at least gives you some ideas :)

73
Stephen
K1LNX