[App_rpt-users] Wireless ISP help

Steve Wright info at meshnetworks.co.nz
Mon Jul 11 04:54:57 UTC 2016

On 11/07/16 16:43, Skyler F <electricity440 at gmail.com> wrote:
> We are getting internet from a microwave link wireless ISP on a
> mountiantop. According to Mountain Broadband, ports are not blocked, and
> they don't have a firewall.
>
> However, when I plug my computer or router into the jack, I am
> automatically assigned a 10.1.50.x address. Why is this happening? I never
> requested an IP manually, it assigned me a DHCP IP.
>
> Inbound ports are all blocked to my router behind the DHCP IP address when
> I try to login under the public IP.
>
> However... the mountaintop site has a static Public IP that is unique to
> itself.
>
> Can someone explain how this works, and what information I need exactly to
> get inbound port forwarding to work to my mikrotik router from whatever
> Mountain Broadband has behind it ?

I'm a wireless ISP.

You've been given a NAT IP address.  They're trying to economise because
real IPs cost money.

This next bit is important - understand this well - TALK to them -
they're geeks, just like you, not corporates.  Go VISIT them and laugh
and smile and show interest in how their network runs.  Talk about what
you are building, and what you want to do and why it will be cool, and
tell them about ham radio.  Help them do a job, like concreting a pole
in the ground, and pull a cable for them.

THEN tell them you want a real IP, and other stuff too, and watch them
give you access to their entire network.  I would, and I do - it's hard
to give it away for free, and it's hard to find people like you.

Not what you thought, is it.  ;)

Steve