[App_rpt-users] Levels

Scott Zimmerman n3xcc at repeater-builder.com
Wed Jul 20 00:05:22 UTC 2016

I typically "push the envelope" just a bit and set the transmit level for 3.2KHz. This gives the
system about 10% gain.

I have done this for years with analog controllers it always seemed to give the audio a bit more
"punch" since it was hitting the limiter just a bit harder on the voice peaks. It also helps bring
those folks that are a bit low in deviation up just a bit.

Depending on how you are feeding transmit audio to your radio, you may or may not have the same
"punch" type effect with App-rpt. If you are feeding the radio's mic input, then you would be
feeding the radio non-processed audio injected before any of the radio's audio processing chain thus
the limiter internal to the radio will be doing the limiting.

If you are feeding the modulator directly and letting app-rpt handle the processing, the only thing
the additional 10% will do is increase the deviation on the channel. It will do nothing to change
how the audio is processed.

For a good read on audio processing in two-way radio, check out this article:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/tech-info/audio-processing.html

Scott

Scott Zimmerman
Amateur Radio Call N3XCC