[App_rpt-users] audio for direct VCO FM

Scott Zimmerman n3xcc at repeater-builder.com
Wed Jun 1 01:37:14 UTC 2016

> It was suggested elsewhere, that everything over 12KHz be not permitted anywhere near an FM
> modulator stage, but how much does that actually happen with the CM119 chipset?
Simple - Sampling frequency.

While there are audio filters built into the audio chain of the DSP routines, this audio is in a
digital form, and must be converted to analog before being applied to the modulator. This is done
inside of the CM119's DAC/Codec. Unfortunately, along with the frequency/amplitude limited audio
signals, the output of the CM119 contains the audio sampling frequency.

If you look at the output of a "naked" CM119, it's easy to see this distortion, it looks like stair
steps. Since these stair steps are square waves, they contain harmonics. It's these harmonics and
sampling frequency that the audio filtering found on the RIM, RIM-Lite, and URI remove. These
filters roll off the top-end frequency response and therefore remove the stair steps. The tricky
part is to place the "knee" of the filter at a frequency that sufficiently rolls off the sampling
frequency and harmonics, yet lets enough high-frequency voice audio though to achieve good fidelity.
In the case of the RIM, this frequency is set for 10KHz. In teh case of the URI, it's MUCH lower.

You may ask, "Why should I care if there are high-frequency audio components being fed directly to
my modulator?" Well, *YOU* may not care, but your adjacent channel neighbor and other services sure
will!! High frequency harmonics in your audio modulation chain create spurs and sideband noise in
your transmitter. This is an issue even if you are deploying a "transmit only" site. While YOUR
equipment at a particular site may be only a transmitter, someone else may be trying to use a
receiver at that site.

There are MUCH better explanations for the necessity of transmitter audio bandwith limiting found
elsewhere on the web. The purpose of this explanation was to illustrate that when feeding a
modulator DIRECTLY, you should try to keep your modulating audio clean to be a good neighbor. You
don't have to worry about this when feeding audio into a radio ahead of the mic/audio processor
since it takes care of all of this filtering for you.

Scott

Scott Zimmerman
Amateur Radio Call N3XCC
474 Barnett Road