[App_rpt-users] connection timeout timer

Elden Fenison w7ldn at w7ldn.com
Sun Jun 12 03:56:45 UTC 2016

I have an IRLP node and an Allstar node. I'm afraid I'm not very
knowledgeable on either.

It seems that in the IRLP world it's customary (and considered good
etiquette) to have a fairly short (like 20 minute) connection timeout
timer. No activity from your node within 20 minutes and the connection will
drop. I guess they expect if you're going to dial up a node/reflector that
you're going to be making a contact, not just listening. I've read the
policy on at least one reflector that says they will ban you for
circumventing the connection timeout.

Is this also standard in the Allstar world? I don't believe my node times
out at all. And I tend to favor camping out on various hubs just to listen.
But I want to follow whatever the best practice is.

Thanks for your help.