[App_rpt-users] Yet another overpriced USB sound dongle

Steve Wright info at meshnetworks.co.nz
Wed Mar 16 02:45:14 UTC 2016

On 16/03/16 14:51, Kevin Custer wrote:
> No - it's not a $2.00 FOB, but what's your time and money worth to buy
> products that are potted and unusable?
[....]
> ...time is money...at least for me it is...so spending
> anything more than an hour at my contract rate, to me, and only me,
> quickly outweighs the $50-100 usd that it might cost to purchase
[....]

> Putting the bashed-together
> device into a commercial site?  That's why hams get thrown out.  That's
> just me, though.  I'm sure the price of Kevin's device, the upgraded
> dongle from Repeater Builder, or Dave Kramer's URI in terms of being
> tested and proven working, when what your time is worth is considered,
> are actually cheaper.

I detect a shill, and a cleverly crafted release of a product.

While I am able to plug a handful of two-dollar USB audio devices into
an RPI3 and use the onboard I/O for signalling, I am probably going to
go and do that.

Good luck!  Sounds like the millionaire hams love it already!  Us poor
church mice will stick with the <$100 solution - that is, for the entire
node - not just for a single USB audio device!