[App_rpt-users] Yet another overpriced USB sound dongle

Kevin Custer kuggie at kuggie.com
Wed Mar 16 13:15:50 UTC 2016

On 3/15/2016 10:45 PM, Steve Wright wrote:

> I detect a shill, and a cleverly crafted release of a product.

It wasn't planned, Steve.  I simply took advantage of an opportunity.
It was probably a little premature, but whatever.

> While I am able to plug a handful of two-dollar USB audio devices into
> an RPI3 and use the onboard I/O for signalling, I am probably going to
> go and do that.
>
> Good luck!  Sounds like the millionaire hams love it already!  Us poor
> church mice will stick with the <$100 solution - that is, for the
> entire node - not just for a single USB audio device!

No one is going to get rich from a $35 USB radio adapter - considering
the cost of the circuit board and components.  Genuine C-Media CM119A's
are not easily sourced, as there are LOTS of fakes out there.  My
product considers the spirit of amateur radio, allowing someone to build
something, learn about it, and save money.

If you feel the advantages of this product offering doesn't merit its
price, that's okay.  But, it does have several advantages over a simple
FOB, and it's obvious you didn't read about it to see what they are.
So, I'll take that into consideration for what it's worth.

Kevin