[App_rpt-users] USB Sound Dongle Challenges

Mark Rogers mark.rogers at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 14:28:42 UTC 2016

Andrew,

It may be possible to use the buttons and lights on a cheap FOB.  I did
some experimenting this morning with this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272147472525

I'm using Windows 10 and I muted the microphone as described here:
https://elonblackman.wordpress.com/2010/01/18/how-to-mute-microphone-in-windows-7/

Doing so caused the mute light on the FOB to turn on.

Similarly, the OS detected presses of the microphone mute, speaker mute,
and volume buttons on the FOB and showed the effects in the mixer controls
for that sound device.  They did not apply to my computer's built-in sound
hardware, so it's not the same as using the volume controls on my keyboard.

While this doesn't show how to do it in Linux, it at least shows that it's
a possibility.

73,
Mark