[App_rpt-users] Non-RTCM voter, where?

Steve Wright info at meshnetworks.co.nz
Wed Mar 30 18:52:45 UTC 2016

On 31/03/16 05:28, Jeff Ackerman wrote:
> XIPAR does not do GPS timing of the audio so there will be no timing
> of audio.  Its called "simple voter", no frills.  XIPAR simply selects
> the best receiver based on DSP signal strength measurements.

Obviously the 'no timing' situation is not completely traumatic for the
conversational use of the repeater, as there is no widespread comments
or negativity about it.

The RTCM is a good idea and a good design, but with the Simulcast
transmit not functioning, and no apparent developer activity there's
just not enough light at the end of the tunnel to commission it everywhere.

It seems to me that analog simulcast transmit is never really going to
sound right.  I feel uneasy about the relentless approach of digital
audio into ham radio, but maybe the dream of zero-handoff multi-rx
multi-tx systems means 'digital' and we're stuck with it. I'd like to be
proven wrong on that.

Steve