[App_rpt-users] Non-RTCM voter, where?

Joe Leikhim rhyolite at leikhim.com
Wed Mar 30 20:53:38 UTC 2016

What is the problem with the RTCM and simulcast?

Analog simulcast may never sound as good as a single site, because it
does experience/cause time differential interference and noise and
therefore requires some very specific design constraints. However, for
some applications it still is the way to go. Moving forward 5-10 years,
two slot DMR with IP connectivity will be the way to go. Before I get
flamed, TETRA never got a foothold in the US and because FCC eliminated
most 25KHz channels, getting TETRA to play in the US is reserved for
those few who have the contiguous spectrum.

I will confess to being a lurker here, primarily because I have
interests both in the commercial LMR and the "ham radio". The RTCM and
IP Simulcast support interests me because I have done a lot of simulcast
design work in Public Safety and the  commercial support of analog
simulcast is becoming threatened with the loss of Raytheon JPS SNV-12
product.  Also the commercial products are very pricey and complex. That
being said, I see the RTCM as having some potential niche in the
commercial LMR world.

Joe

--
Joe Leikhim