[App_rpt-users] Remote Base Beginner Questions

Doug Fessler ki7dqg at gmail.com
Sat May 21 02:13:54 UTC 2016

Hi,

I just got my license recently and I have some problems to solve that I
need to ask for help with. I really want to monitor and participate on the
local 2m repeater, but a) I am not retired so I am at work all day, b) my
office is in the basement of a building built to be a bomb shelter (no
reception), and c) I am more of a night owl anyway. So, I basically end up
missing most of the traffic.

I've been looking at some of the cool things you can do with allstar, and I
am interested in the "remote base" scenario.  Do I understand this
correctly:  I could put a 2m radio at my house that's wired into a URI
plugged into a Pi2 or PC running linux with app_rpt that becomes a node on
allstar and then I could dial in via a client and monitor and talk on the
local repeater?  If that is a bad use case, then I hope someone will tell
me now.

I have read a bit on this and everyone seems to say that I should look at
an older Motorola radio for this.  Is that because it is a waste to use a
nicer radio when it is only going to stay on one repeater? Or is it because
it is easier to interface with? Or both? I put a Yaesu FT-2900R in my car
and I thought that I would use that, but I think I am sensing that would
not be the best way to go.

Thanks for the help,

Doug