[App_rpt-users] Node connection via cellular modem and OpenVPN anyone?

Matt Beasant matt.g4rky at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 08:36:24 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I need to run a node over a cellular data connection and have managed to
get hold of a couple of Teltonika RUT105 3G modems:

http://www.4gon.co.uk/teltonika-rut105-p-5010.html

These devices support OpenVPN and I was wondering if it might be possible
to use this to tunnel to one of my other Allstar nodes that has a regular
Internet connection with a public IP address (in fact one of the sites has
multiple public IP's available).

Has anyone ever done anything like this and could give me a few clues as to
how I proceed?

I'm assuming that the node at the end of the tunnel will need two ethernet
ports, one for the connection from the 3G modem to come in on and another
with a different public IP for the cellular connected node to be able to
use.

Does this sound feasible?

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give as I'm not at all sure how to go
about configuring OpenVPN to do this having never used it before!

Many thanks,

Matt
G4RKY