[App_rpt-users] Anyone have MPLAB C compiler?

Lee Woldanski ve7fet at tparc.org
Sun Oct 30 02:36:05 UTC 2016

Hi Sam,

Try these instructions... (from my notes)...

VOTER HardwareBootloader

There are instructions in the documentation about loading up the Microchip
IDE and burning the bootloader... but they are missing some important
steps...

Get and install MPLAB IDE V8.66 (this is an archived/older version).

Get and install MPLABC30 V3.30C for PIC24 and dsPIC (get the educational
LITE version). Select LITE mode when installing.

Download ALL the files in the voter_bootloader folder, these are:

ENC C30-SMT.cof
ENC C30.cof
voter-bootloader.mcp
voter-bootloader.mcs
voter-bootloader.mcw

Load the voter-bootloader.mcp in MPLAB.

Make sure JP7 is off on the voter board.

Connect the PICKit2 to the ICSP header.

In MPELAB go to Programmer --> PICKit2.

This should acquire the target on the voter board.

*In MPELAB go to File --> Import and load the ENC 30.cof file.* This step
is MISSING from the original instructions, so there is nothing to program.

*Now* you should be able to go to View --> Program Memory and find the IP
address at 0x03018.

In MPELAB go to Programmer --> Program to load the bootloader in to the
voter board.

Remove the PICKit2, the LED's should flash 3 times if the firmware loaded.

Install JP7 on the voter board.

Now, follow the firmware updating procedure below to load the firmware.

Start the ENC_LOADER and load the current voter.cry from the board-firmware
folder (SVN).

You can also just use the Microchip IDE and the PICkit2 to read one of the
existing boards, and program the rest... as a bonus, it loads the current
firmware with it.

Firmware Updates

For bare chips, you need to load the voter-bootloader first. This is
covered in the votersystem.pdf and more importantly (without missing
steps), see above.

For updating firmware once you have the bootloader installed, follow these
steps...

You need the two files you will find here:

http://svn.ohnosec.org/viewvc/projects/allstar/voter/EBLEX%20C30%20Programmer/?root=svn

That is the ENC_Loader.ini and ENC_loader.exe. This is the utility to load
the firmware in the PIC.

Now you need the actual firmware file (one of the .cry files) from here:

http://svn.ohnosec.org/viewvc/projects/allstar/voter/board-firmware/?root=svn

or the source files and compile your self using the Microchip compiler.

The ones with SMT in the name are for the RTCM and the ones without are for
the original voter board (ours). Make sure you use the right one for the
hardware that you have.

Run ENC_loader.exe and enter the Target IP address of the RTCM/voter board
(default 192.168.1.11) and click "set address".

Click file and select the Voter.cry file that you downloaded.

Telnet to the RTCM and login.

Make sure that the Bootloader IP address is set to an appropriate value and
saved.

Issue the "r" command to reboot.

Immediately click the "Capture Target" button in the Encrypted Ethernet
Loader Utility.

Once you see the message "LIA Status: 4000" you can click the "Program"
button.

Wait till you see the "finished programing file" message.

Then click the "Reset LIA" button. The VOTER board should restart, and
after about 5 seconds, the green activity light should start flashing, etc.
It should be up and running the new software.

I know that it works when you are on the same LAN as the RTCM.

It works over a routed network if the routers properly forward UDP port
16388 and do proxy arp. I have had trouble getting it to work over the
Internet via NAT at both ends.

You will need to do calibration once the firmware is loaded.

Lee

--
Lee Woldanski, AScT
VE7FET