[App_rpt-users] Customizing courtesy tones

Richard Bateman richard at batemansr.us
Mon Sep 12 05:22:08 UTC 2016

Hi,

I've been on the fence between using app_rpt and getting an analog controller such as the RC-210 for awhile now; I'd really love to have the flexibility of app_rpt, but there is one feature that the rc-210 gives me that I don't see a way to do with app_rpt.

What I eventually plan to do is to have a 440, a 220, and a 2m repeater all linked together more or less permanently -- this is so that members of our club (many of whom are beginners) can try out different bands and learn to use them but still for sure have someone to talk to (220 in particular is pretty dead around here).

Anyway, I'd really like to have some easy way for everyone to be able to tell which repeater the transmission came in on; with the RC-210 my plan was to have a different courtesy tone depending on the source.  e.g. 2m repeater originating transmissions would have CT1, 440 CT2, 220 CT3.

Another need I have is to be able to send a DTMF command code to change the basic CT of the repeater to a double beep to indicate that a net is in progress; I think I can do that using a macro which runs a shell script, changes the config file, and runs "rpt reload".

So, my question is this: is it possible to trigger a macro or function or something that I could use to run arbitrary code every time a transmission started which would know which node that transmission came from? Then I could set the CT based on which node is originating the transmission each time.

Other ideas for solving the problem would also be welcome.  =] I'm a developer with C experience and some background in asterisk so I'm willing to do some work in the app_rpt.c code as well if needed, but I've found diving in without asking first often means solving the problem in a non-ideal way =]

Thanks,

Richard
KD7BBC