[App_rpt-users] IPV6 and upgrades --was: toy throwing time?

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Wed Sep 14 09:15:20 UTC 2016

Yes, there are several mapping methods. NAT64 is one mechanism, DS-lite is
a second. You must have hardware that can simultaneously run dual stacks
(IPV4 and IPV6) and supports the proper software--LINUX!

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6_transition_mechanism
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAT64

IMO, NAT is a tool and it can solve some difficult problems. Can it be
misused and abused, yes. So can most other tools.

As for IPV4 space, there is plenty of AMPR 44.0.0.0/8 space and private
RFC1918 space (e.g.: 10.0.0.0/8)  which will be available into the
foreseeable future. BGP isn't a requirement. Are software (registration
server, databases, etc.) changes needed to make this concept work, yes.
But, changes will be needed anyway.

Here are some useful videos:

NAT64:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GkynY809eg
DS-lite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NijvopYCtIg

If you really, really NEED IPV6 right now, and have IPV4 connected
systems, these methods do work. And, I'm speaking as an ISP.

One final thing to remember is that while the USA may be seeing fairly
high IPV6 adoption rates, much of the rest on the world is not. IPV4 will
be here for a long time to come. See:

https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=per-country-ipv6-adoption&tab=per-country-ipv6-adoption

73, David KB4FXC

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016, Philip Dorr wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 2:02 AM, Toussaint OTTAVI <t.ottavi at bc-109.com> wrote:
>

> Le 14/09/2016 à 07:22, Stacy a écrit :
>>
>> As for running NAT, why?  One of the points of moving to IPv6 is to get away from using NAT.
>

> A NAT rule takes 10 seconds to set up for any network administrator, and it just works. Moreover, for those who definitely do not like NAT, there are plenty of 44.x.y.z AMPR IPv4 adresses available to the HAM community.

A NAT rule on IPv4 takes a few seconds, but one on IPv6 takes
hardware/software that supports it.  What was mentioned initially
about NAT was NAT64 which requires a NAT gateway to be setup, and is
not usually a simple matter of port forwarding.