[App_rpt-users] Echolink and Teamspeak

Loren Tedford lorentedford at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 14:03:37 UTC 2016

I have been using team speak in the gaming community for several years
now.. I started in 2004 with team speak 2 and later started hosting my own
team speak 3 servers by 2006.. I have a had a pretty good experience with
team speak in both windows and linux but I don't recommend doing what your
doing for a few reasons.. First reliability and lock up concerns.. Virtual
Audio Cable should be using a low latency kernel to do this sort of thing..
The arm processor is nice and powerful enough to mess around with allstar
but i wouldn't recommend this as an all in one box.. Back when i was doing
alot of broadcasting in the world of online radio.. I learned a few things
about Virtual Audio cables and latency issues I ended up having to use a
pretty good power house machine with Xubuntu Studio to accomplish my
goals.. I am in no way trying to discourage you on the use of teamspeak
with your repeater system but in a live production environment I don't
think I would trust some thing like this on a small pi that at best might
be a quad core at 1.5 ghz and virtually no ram at all..

Team speak is great for what it was designed for and is still a great way
to communicate in an emergency when all you have is data and no phone lines
but when it comes down to it I just recommend setting everyone setting up a
live steam from your allstar node and if you need people to chat back with
ya I would strongly encourage the use of Android IAX rpt or echolink (
echolink I don't like it but at least it works some times.. ) In my opinion
awesome job on the vox audio cable setup between an echolink client and
what ever way your ripping the audio off of allstar I would assume probably
a phone sip client of some sort..  Yes this sort of thing can be done in
the linux world but i don't think a pi has enough grunt and ram to safely
do what you wanna do..

Warning the content listed below has not been tested..

What i would do is install DIAL: then search online how to install a low
latency kernel a basic desktop of your choice (Just to make life easier)
and virtual audio cables for linux teamspeak has a linux installation as
well.. Their are several sip phone clients available out their on the
market and you could probably setup what ever needed to link into your
allstar node.. As far as machine speed and other info well I would at least
have 2 gigs of ram at minimum and recommend at least 4 gb of ram if you
really have to use a windows program in linux look at wine.. I don't
recommend this always try to find a linux alternative.. If your wanting to
run this computer off of 12 for power fail-over and other needs check out a
pico power supply..

Best of luck I hope i have pointed you in the right direction this is not
to say you couldn't get this done with the pi but you might have issues
with locking open allstar and i guarantee you don't want that..

Loren Tedford (KC9ZHV)
Phone:
Fax:
Email: lorentedford at gmail.com