[App_rpt-users] Dial and APRS support?

Chris Curtis demoman at rollanet.org
Fri Sep 16 17:59:51 UTC 2016

Not replying directly to the quoted text as it is accurate.  I'm using it to start off my thoughts :)

Yes, the aprs portion of an allstar node simply announces whatever information you want into the aprs-is 'stream'.
You can certainly view on web using http://aprs.fi .

Since I run an aprs i-gate+digipeater at the same location as my nodes, the info that allstar injects is also sent over the air via the digipeater.
That way, mobiles coming and going to the river will see my nodes popup on their aprs display and know they can use allstar in my area.

Now, if I had my act together, which I do not, I would fresh install my nodes onto a DIAL box and then install aprx onto that box as well.
Then I'd have all 'machines' on one machine :)

Currently have 3 nodes running famously on ACID and the aprx setup on a raspberry pi B (with usb to serial plugged into a heathkit pocket packet tnc plugged into a maxon 4150).

Kb0wlf-10 is the pIGATE (clever huh?)
Kb0wlf-4 is the allstar box sending out node info

You can have the aprx setup also announce the kb0wlf-4 information instead but since they are discrete boxes, I left it alone.
(not to mention that the allstar box was running along for years before I setup the aprx box)

Chris
KB0WLF

--
I believe that the implementation of APRS in an Allstar node was to announce the node on the network and its status (Linked to?).   That's what I have been using it for many years.  This was not designed specifically for mobile nodes.  APRS is radio-less and has no tie into the repeater/node.