[App_rpt-users] RTCM DNS unreliable?

Sam Skolfield kj6qfs at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 21:35:58 UTC 2017

Hello all,
I've had some funky issues with using a DNS for "server IP" parameter in my
RTCMs. My server is behind an ISP that gives me a new wan IP whenever we
have a power outage. So I used a simple DNS service, and my RTCMs phone
home through that. At first it worked perfectly, even though sometimes when
the wan ip updates, it takes a day or so for the RTCMs to attempt to
resolve again. Oh well..

I spoke to someone that is very much "in the know" about that first issue,
and he said the TCP/IP code in the RTCMs is VERY rudimentary and might not
handle DNS stuff as well as I want it to.

But, lately, the RTCMs fall off for days, sometimes weeks, even if the IP
of the server hasn't changed at all. I checked to see if the RTCMS somehow
lost power, nope...

Anyone else have a similar experience? The only solution I can think of is
using telnet to poke the RTCMs whenever they fall off. If someone else is
doing the same thing I am and having more success than me, I'd like to hear
from you.

Thanks!

--
KJ6QFS