[App_rpt-users] ilbc codec source code ?

Toussaint OTTAVI t.ottavi at bc-109.com
Fri Aug 25 20:07:28 UTC 2017

Le 25/08/2017 à 21:47, David McGough a écrit :
> I think Zoiper 3 and later has different CODECS (iLBC20 and iLBC30)

Thank you. I have iLBC30 installed, but I didn't see there was an iLBC20
:-) Good news :-)

> I have tested G.729, but found it to have lower audio quality than iLBC,
> to my ear, at least, with about the same bandwidth use. The patents which
> did encumber most G.729 implementations are now expired.

Did you remember how you installed the codec on Asterisk side ?

AFAIK specs say iLBC is 15 kbps and g729 is 8 kbps, so it should be half
bandwidth ?

> I have also experimentally added CODEC2 / 3200bps. Other than being CPU
> heavy (as expected), it works fine, but sounds closer to DMR-quality audio
> than is typically desirable for most AllStar use...But, this CODEC is by
> far the low-bandwidth leader of the free CODECs I've tested.

I'd like to test, too. To see if there is an interest to use it with
poor mobile networks (but if a mobile network can't carry 8 kbps, it may
not be able to carry 4 kbps much better...)

Of course, I won't use it for my Asterisk backbone :-) But as far as we
plan to integrate gateways with d-star and DMR, there won't be much
difference if there are also IAX2 users @3kbps... Moreover, the quality
of a 3kbps codec transcoded to another 3kbps codec is something I'm
fearing a bit HI ;-)

Do you know any mobile software that can support codec2 ?

73 de TK1BI