[App_rpt-users] ilbc codec source code ?

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Fri Aug 25 19:47:58 UTC 2017

Hi,

I think Zoiper 3 and later has different CODECS (iLBC20 and iLBC30)
define, which differentiate the frame rate. See:

https://www.zoiper.com/en/support/answer/for/windows/104/Codecs

I have tested G.729, but found it to have lower audio quality than iLBC,
to my ear, at least, with about the same bandwidth use. The patents which
did encumber most G.729 implementations are now expired.

I have also experimentally added CODEC2 / 3200bps. Other than being CPU
heavy (as expected), it works fine, but sounds closer to DMR-quality audio
than is typically desirable for most AllStar use...But, this CODEC is by
far the low-bandwidth leader of the free CODECs I've tested.

73, David KB4FXC

On Fri, 25 Aug 2017, Toussaint OTTAVI wrote:

Le 25/08/2017 à 20:43, David McGough a écrit :
> Stock Asterisk uses 30ms iLBC audio frames, which can end up sounding like
> "Mr.  Roboto" with AllStar, which strictly expects 20ms frames....These
> patches convert iLBC for Asterisk to 20ms frames, so it's compatible with
> AllStar.

Wow ! Thank you, I didn't see that ! I just compared file sizes, and saw
they were identical. But I didn't see the content was different...

> Also, note that is you use this patch in conjuction with SIP phones,
> softphones, etc., make sure they're set to 20ms frames, too.

Humm, another problem : my current software client (Zoiper for Android)
does not allow to set timing value. Does someone know an IAX2 client for
iPhone/Android which supports iLBC, and which allows to change timing
value ?

73 de TK1BI