[App_rpt-users] Bug fixes and feature updates to ASL asterisk

Steve Zingman szingman at msgstor.com
Thu Feb 16 20:22:55 UTC 2017

Along with the multitude of things we are doing to shore up the ASL
(AllStarLink) infrastructure, we have started to apply a number of fixes
and add some new features to the next version of asterisk used in ASL.

I am not going to try to detail every change, it's moving much too fast
for that. If you want to follow the changes, it's time to start learning
your way around git. We have moved any new fixes or development away
from the SVN to a public repository in git. Everything ASL related is
now in <https://github.com/AllStarLink> You do NOT need a git account to
look at or even download the code from git.

I am starting to move the repository from my own github account to the
ASL repository. There are a number of updates I need to apply to the
Debian and DIAL scripts. I will copy the cleaned up code into the
ASL/DIAL repository. Stay tuned.

We are using a very CONTROLLED method of development to guarantee each
fix and feature is vetted before it makes it way into the master
release. One of the many upsides is that you can see the changes as they
are applied to the different branches as they make their way towards the
master. As members of the development team start committing their work
you will see it.

The master branch is as it was plus one hotfix that needed to be
applied. You will not see any change there until we are ready for a
release. The develop branch is where all the fixes and features will
start to appear. it is at
<https://github.com/AllStarLink/Asterisk/tree/develop>

The first of those features is something the WANRS
<http://www.wanrepeater.net/> people have been asking for. For quite a
while I might add. They needed the ability to tailor the receive and
transmit audio characteristics of the chan_usbradio channel driver. This
feature has been available for quite a while in XIPAR and they felt if
they were going to update their existing installations, they had to have
that and at least one other feature. Late last summer Mike N4IRR added
the feature to a custom version of DIAL that the WAN people have been
testing. The testing has been done both on the air and with some very
high quality test equipment. We have the thumbs up on it, so it is now
in the develop branch.

I'll say this again, you will not see any new feature in the version of
asterisk used in ASL, today, tomorrow or next week. I do not have a
feature freeze date let alone a release date. There is a TON of work to
do. The teams are small (on purpose) and they all have day jobs. But the
upside is you will be able to watch the progress.

I want to encourage everyone to do a few things:

1: If you see a question on the list, Answer it. The more people
answering questions the better for all.

2: If you have a skill you think can be helpful to the overall project,
let me know. Not everyone is a software architect, We need people who
can write (unlike me). People that can script (bash). And let's not
forget the people that spend quite a bit of time interfacing ASL to
repeaters. There are a lot more tasks that can be filled. No, not
everyone can contribute, but it's worth a shot.

3: If you have a idea, post it here. I read every message and after a
few back and for discussions I may capture the idea and stick it in a
log for review and discussion.

For AllStarLink Inc. A non-profit

73, Steve N4IRS

<https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token=OKlwAw5qc4mTekAdIBCG1h6Lg8YEujapKvIkp4eVG_9Qvl-Vv1J89EuB6Dwv9WKeGOlGE0>