[App_rpt-users] USB Battery Bank that supports 'Pass Through Charging' and acts as a UPS for Allstar Nodes running on a Pi

Ramesh Dhami Ramesh at va3uv.com
Mon Jul 10 19:56:18 UTC 2017

On 2017-07-10 1:03 PM, Carl wrote:
> I have not used the buck converter linked below, but I have tried using a different buck converter to go from 12V to 5V for the Pi, and found it introduced an excessive amount of noise into the Pi (which carried over into the radio audio). Something to check as you develop your power scheme.
> Carl

<-- Hi Carl:  Absolutely, I have some of those converters from "CPT" and
just as you describe, I found them to induce noise into the Pi / fob,
which then get into the audio stream.  Not good!

My original plan was to use the Battery Bank (dual USB output) to power
both the Pi and my Baofeng BF888s... but, in doing so, I get a humm on
the TX audio out of the Baofeng.  When I move the Baofeng's over to a
separate wallwart / USB charger, the noise goes away.

To Mark's question (Gee, where did you crawl out from? ;) keeping the Pi
up during a power blip, etc., eliminates the need for someone to go to
site to recycle power to the Pi.  Everything else, losing power, isn't
such a big issue... just trying to keep the Pi somewhat immune to power
blips.

Cheers!

Ramesh.