[App_rpt-users] USB Battery Bank that supports 'Pass Through Charging' and acts as a UPS for Allstar Nodes running on a Pi

Mark Phillips g7ltt at g7ltt.com
Wed Jul 12 15:51:02 UTC 2017

This thread has been useful for some other projects I have going at the
moment. I think the "proper" way to do this is to power the Pi from a 12V
source and a buck converter. There are any number of 12V pwrgate doo-dads
that you could make to handle the UPS side. I found this on Thingiverse
that is not only a Pi case but also has a buck convertor too ....
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2286741

I think this is the way I'm going to go for my node rebuild. I'm going to
do this Pi setup and one of these
http://www.repeater-builder.com/products/usb-rim-lite.html for a spare
Motorola SM50 down at the farm. It'll be solar powered with a WiFi
connection back to the office. The whole lot will be mounted on some 3/4
plywood on the barn wall. I'm building one of those 18650 Tesla type
battery packs to store the power. Should get about a week of run time just
on the batteries.

Hello, Ramesh. Sorry I've been out of touch lately. I moved to Delaware 2
years ago after the wife threw me out. Been busy getting divorced and all
that goes with that. Good news is that I have sole custody of my kids now
and that things are starting to level out.