[App_rpt-users] USB Battery Bank that supports 'Pass Through Charging' and acts as a UPS for Allstar Nodes running on a Pi

Ramesh Dhami Ramesh at va3uv.com
Thu Jul 13 12:04:49 UTC 2017

On 2017-07-12 11:51 AM, Mark Phillips wrote:
> This thread has been useful for some other projects I have going at
> the moment. I think the "proper" way to do this is to power the Pi
> from a 12V source and a buck converter. There are any number of 12V
> pwrgate doo-dads that you could make to handle the UPS side. I found
> this on Thingiverse that is not only a Pi case but also has a buck
> convertor too .... https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2286741

<-- Hi Mark: Yeh using a battery and a 'buck converter' is definitely an
option.  As I mentioned to Carl the 'CPT' branded converters that I
have, are "noisy" they inject audio back into the audio path of the fob,
so the audio into the network as well as audio out on your transmitter
has an annoying high pitch whine.

In my case, since I intend to install this stuff thousands of miles
away, I don't want a battery down there, left unattended.  A quick
search on Amazon, revealed one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Kaito-KA-723-Portable-Pass-Through-Compatible/dp/B07171VXHP/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1499741035&sr=1-1&keywords=usb+battery+pack+with+pass+through+charging

It supports 'pass through charging' - but does not mention anything
about seamless switch-over from AC power to battery power.  Of course,
some surgery and an electrolytic cap across the output may help during
short 'brown-outs'

Good to hear from you... catch me on 27919 sometime!

Cheers,

Ramesh.