[App_rpt-users] Source Code WA3DSP

Ramesh Dhami Ramesh at va3uv.com
Thu Jul 13 21:25:14 UTC 2017

On 2017-07-13 2:39 PM, Skyler F wrote:
> This is the reason why I started to really want the source to Dougs
> image:
>
> 1. I wanted to apply a couple small customizations to App_rpt.c
> 2. I wanted a better simpleusb driver for the raspberry pi without the
> delay. usbradio does not work well as of now on a pi, and simpleusb
> receiver delay is not constant changes each transmission.
>
> The current DIAL distro does not fix the simpleusb or usbradio
> problems in the raspberry pi because they don't want to have to
> duplicate Doug's work. (Yes, you have to be picky like me about audio
> and timing to tell on some of it)

<-- You're not alone Skyler.  Hang tight, I am optimistic that there
will be something coming to allow you to use usbradio (with demph /
squelched RX audio) as an alternative to simpleusb (and thus eliminate
the audio delay), very soon!

I've been doing quite a bit of testing between simpleusb and usbradio on
DIAL..... and I (personally) find that usbradio sounds better and has
more dynamic range (with TX audio) than simpleusb. Some folks will say
the opposite... "beauty is in the eye [or ear] of the beholder" ;).

Remembering our dear friend, Jim Dixon, WB6NIL,

Cheers,

Ramesh.