[App_rpt-users] Source Code WA3DSP

Steve Zingman szingman at msgstor.com
Fri Jul 14 13:29:48 UTC 2017

OK,
  So this "discussion" has go on for about a week. Face it, other then
venting, and somewhat preaching to the choir, nothing has been
accomplished.  Other then AllStarLink  (ASL) abiding by the license for
Asterisk, we have no standing. It's up to Asterisk to enforce it's
license. I am as much a advocate of open source and HAM radio as
anybody, but it's time to end this. Do I disagree with David's and
Doug's (HAMVIOP) decision to not open the source to their version of
Asterisk? YES. Is there anything we can do about it? NO. David says he
that he is following Jim's wishes. What I have been told by David is
that Jim told him if he did not like what Jim was doing, fork it. So he
did. That's just fine with us. We moved the source code from SVN to GIT
to allow ANYONE to submit changes to the code. David submitted one bug
fix directly to me and I included it in the repository.

  Mike N4IRR is the team leader for development. Yes, he is my brother.
We have been building FM voice repeaters for the last 48 years. We work
well together (most of the time) and we know how to compliment each
others talents. Mike has been a professional "software guy" for the last
37 years. The other team members for the most part asked to be part of
the team. They each bring a wealth of knowledge inside and outside of
ASL. They stepped up and are willing to work with others in the best
interest of ASL and HAM radio. All of the team members have to work well
within the team and with the other teams where they intersect. Saying
that you want to help is one thing, actually doing something is another.
We do not just add people to teams. We look to attitude, skill and
actually doing something for ASL. The organization has been built to
survive the loss of any one or more people. We are no longer a one man
band.

  I  have been told that HAMVIOP thinks that the management of ASL is
partisan. I think that is really directed at me. Am I an advocate for
ASL? Yes. Do I try to run ASL in the best interests of the HAM
community? Yes. I have opened the management teams to anyone that has
said they have a interest and a skill to volunteer. HAMVIOP has told me
in the past they don't think much of my  capabilities. I have said in
the past that I don't think much of their attitude towards anyone else
working on ASL. I'll call that even.

  To conclude, ASL is open source and will always be so. If others want
to not publish their changes, that is not our concern. Leave that to
Asterisk. What we can do as a community is to support the open source
efforts and the hardware vendors that provide the equipment we need to
make ASL the finest HAM repeater / linking software available.

  I will not censor users on the list until I think someone has
repeatedly crossed the line. Please end this. I now return you to your
regularly scheduled mail list.

73, Steve N4IRS