[App_rpt-users] Reliability / Network Stability

Loren Tedford lorentedford at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 16:33:53 UTC 2017

Sorry for the double email forgot to add some things...

Sounds good Bryan! Also special shout out to the rest of the team as well..
I think i might have an idea what maybe going on in regards to your
question Benjamin.. I have recently noticed heavier than normal latency on
the iax ports I am not sure if service providers are doing some funny
business with 4569 or what.. But what i recommend is if your having
connectivity issues download mtr on to your allstarlink node..  You can
install it by typing apt-get install mtr then use this command as an
example mtr -rwc 100 ip-p-host-Address

example command would be:
mtr -rwc 100 lorentedford.com

Now this will show you percentages of packet loss for each hop this is
generally a good place to start in troubleshooting if your having issues..

Providing the output of the above can be very useful and assist others in
seeing what type of network congestion is going on where around the
country.. In the future some of us might have to look into consistent VPN
services between major hubs to maintain stable connectivity and routing..
Examples being multiple hub systems where you have geographically located
allstarlink hubs around the world..

Just a thought

This is my added on section i forgot to post in the original email

I forgot to add how to do commandline speed testing..
[root at webserver ~]# nano speedtest.sh
#!/bin/bash
wget
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py
--no-check-certificate
chmod a+rx speedtest.py
mv speedtest.py /usr/local/bin/
chown root:root /usr/local/bin/speedtest.py
/usr/local/bin/speedtest.py

After the above has been ran at least once I comment out everything to make
it look like this..

[root at webserver ~]# cat speedtest.sh
#!/bin/bash
#wget
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py
--no-check-certificate
#chmod a+rx speedtest.py
#mv speedtest.py /usr/local/bin/
#chown root:root /usr/local/bin/speedtest.py
/usr/local/bin/speedtest.py

Now to run the speedtest just type sh speedtest.sh you can even have this
save the output into a text file later if you wish..

Also below is an example of what an MTR report will look like
loren at loren-Inspiron-1501:~$ mtr -rwc 100 lorentedford.com
Start: Tue Jun 27 11:25:43 2017
HOST: loren-Inspiron-1501             Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst
StDev
  1.|-- VerizonBRV                       0.0%   100    1.6   0.8   0.6
3.1   0.2
  2.|-- 113.sub-66-174-52.myvzw.com      0.0%   100   35.7  38.6  32.1
 52.2   4.2
  3.|-- 34.sub-69-83-89.myvzw.com        0.0%   100   39.5  39.6  24.2
 53.0   4.8
  4.|-- 49.sub-69-83-89.myvzw.com        0.0%   100   37.4  39.1  26.1
 54.2   4.6
  5.|-- 194.sub-69-83-88.myvzw.com       0.0%   100   39.7  40.7  25.6
 55.3   5.1
  6.|-- ???                             100.0   100    0.0   0.0   0.0
0.0   0.0
  7.|-- ???                             100.0   100    0.0   0.0   0.0
0.0   0.0
  8.|-- 101.sub-66-174-49.myvzw.com      0.0%   100   42.1  41.3  29.5
 64.5   6.0
  9.|-- 0.et-2-0-0.GW10.CHI2.ALTER.NET   0.0%   100   34.8  40.6  24.2
 66.9   7.4
 10.|-- 0.et-11-3-0.GW8.CHI13.ALTER.NET  0.0%   100   38.0  41.5  26.5
 69.2   5.9
 11.|-- ???                             100.0   100    0.0   0.0   0.0
0.0   0.0
 12.|-- nyk-bb3-link.telia.net           0.0%   100   56.0  61.8  52.9
232.9  17.9
 13.|-- nyk-b2-link.telia.net            0.0%   100   48.9  61.4  47.5
174.1  13.3
 14.|-- ???                             100.0   100    0.0   0.0   0.0
0.0   0.0
loren at loren-Inspiron-1501:~$

Loren Tedford (KC9ZHV)
Phone: