[App_rpt-users] Codecs

Toussaint OTTAVI t.ottavi at bc-109.com
Tue Mar 7 10:22:06 UTC 2017

Le 07/03/2017 à 01:52, Benjamin L. Naber a écrit :
> I'm rather disturbed that iLBC and speex remains in any of them, while
> I'm sure for compatibility of older installations. However, low
> quality bandwidth codes sounds no better than echo-stink. This is one
> of the reason why we use Allstarlink, for better audio quality, is it not?

Not necessarly. This depends on available bandwidth ;-)

We have distributed repeaters and a central hub. We're using high
quality / high bandwidth for interlinks between repeaters and the hub.
But the hub also accepts IAX2 connections from 3G/mobile users (using
softphones such as Zoiper). When mobile network is poor, or when
driving, using low-bandwidth codecs such as iLBC or Speex does have a
sense. Codec can be choosen by users on the client side.