[App_rpt-users] Codecs

Benjamin L. Naber benjamin at project23d.com
Tue Mar 7 17:59:16 UTC 2017

Interesting to learn some of the workings of iax.conf.

I'm aware of the rest, however, I would encourage iax.conf is modified
to have the following priorities for every connection stanza:
ulaw
g726aal2
gsm

this is to ensure audio quality is better than IRLP and echo-stink. If
you cannot tell the difference, listen to a conversation on a local
repeater, and the same conversation with the convenient delay over IRLP
or echo-stink.

You may then remember in days-past of analog cellular listening to the
person on the other end had more body and fidelity.

Regarding bandwidth, be it a DSL or mobile connection, this should be a
non-issue. Even 1G cellular data connection will support two full-duplex
uLaw streams.

For hub nodes, 30 ulaw streams is right around 2.25Mbits. If this is a
concern, perhaps the owner of the hub should really consider putting the
node elsewhere. That's like trying to put a Pinto engine in my E-350 and
expecting it to work the same.

Considering jitter and packet loss if it is thought a higher bandwidth
codec will cause this, such is not the case. This is the cause of little
or no implementation of Qos/ToS in the WAN facing side of a router.
There are other external considerations, but those are outside the scope
of this thread.

While on that subject a brief description of an example is the node at
my home. My connection, fortunately, has maintained +25Mbps down and
5Mbps up, I've have zero issues with jitter and packet loss with QoS
implemented, even while the kids are watching netflix, skyping, and
watching something on youtube.... all at the same time.