[App_rpt-users] RPi 3 controller problem

William Higgins higgins.ws at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 17:06:19 UTC 2017

Good day!

We have recently replaced the CAT-200 controller on our repeater with a
Raspberry Pi 3 running the Dial RC1 distribution.  Mostly it seems to be
working ok, but we are getting relatively frequent audio dropouts in the
middle of conversations.  At times we can go for several minutes of
conversation without a dropout, and at other times, it seems like it
happens a lot more frequently.  Sometimes it's just for a couple of tenths
of a second and sometimes it's up to a few seconds long.  So far I have had
no luck in trying to track down the cause of this.  Any thoughts anyone
might have about what might be happening or where to look next would be
appreciated.

Some details about our config:

Raspberry Pi 3 with DIAL RAT_RC1.img
Repeater Builder RB-USB Rim Lite Interface
Vertex VXR-7000 Repeater
Metallic case for the Pi
Modular connectors and Cat-7 cable for the interface with snap-on chokes at
both ends
Pi is connected to the local network via Wifi (We are prepared to move this
to Ethernet, but need approval of the host to do so)
Pi is connected to an external server via OpenVPN for collection of mgmt.
statistics via SNMP
Pi also runs Apache2 and Allmon2
Echolink is enabled (Node 746074)
AllStarLink of course (Node 44011)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or help you might be able to give!

Bill Higgins
N0NOE

KC0DBS repeater on 44011
N0NOE simplex on 43758