[App_rpt-users] Pi Zero W?

Bryan Fields Bryan at bryanfields.net
Tue Nov 7 23:06:17 UTC 2017

On 11/7/17 4:51 PM, Michael Lee Lockwood wrote:
> Why not use the app_rpt build that’s already setup for RPi> www.hamvoip.org

Why not?

HamVoIP.org agreed to provide source code, and are violating the trust of the
community by refusing to honor their commitment.  They have no right to
distribute app_rpt, asterisk or DAHDI.

Good luck getting it working without source on a different platform too.  The
PiZero is so under powered it may not be able to do much.  I've compiled the
main codebase on one and was unable to get it to run well on the Pi0 Zero even
with simple USB interface for anything other than a basic controller.  Once
the IAX connection came up, it would just die.

This jives with what I saw on http://www.raspberry-asterisk.org/ where 2 SIP
calls had the CPU at 80%.  At that rate it's not if, but when it will drop
packets.  The idea of asterisk/Zapata telephony was to replace custom hardware
with CPU as the cost of CPU dropped.  Using a Pi Zero is kinda taking that to
extremes in that the audio interface now costs more than the CPU.

I realized it's a neat platform, but a normal Pi3 is $50 with card and power
supply and such a small cost of the project it's not worth messing with an
under-powered single core box.  Please mess with it if you want, and certainly
if you enjoy it, but the cost savings wasn't worth it for me.

At $5 give it's worth giving it a try, maybe you'll be able to get it working
as an embedded device.

73
--
Bryan Fields