[App_rpt-users] hub crash help

Peter g7rpg at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 15 16:36:28 UTC 2017

Hi...

I'm one the minions that help run M0HOY's Allstar hubs in the UK. Node
41522 & 41223, There is an ongoing problem where the hub will crash
randomly when a someone comes on with a flaky internet connection, the
crash is associated with segfault in app_rpt.so and and usually one of
the following in the logs:

Undecodable frame received from 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'
PBX may not have been terminated properly on
'IAX2/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:4572-5435'
lots of.... Max retries exceeded to host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Sometimes the crash is a 'general protection ip' in app_rpt.so but
usually nothing in the logs just before to give any clues.

Average uptime is 7 - 14 days, a flaky incoming connection will kill it
within minutes dropping all the connections.

Both of the hubs are hosted in a DC on VPS running on Debian 7.4, 3.2.81
X64, built with source from the github repo.

There tends to be on average 60 - 80 ASL connections spread across the
two hubs to share the load.

Recently we've had a few users on the hub form the US and Australia
repeatedly crashing the hubs sometimes more than once a day.

Some of the ideas we've done/are looking at are:

More hubs to spread the load and minimise the disruption
A script to keep a check on the running process and restart asterisk QUICKLY
A scripts to alert us of potential problems
On some occasions have had to use iptables to block the host causing the
problem were we've not been able to make contact.

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions?

TIA

Peter
G7RPG