[App_rpt-users] Kenwood TKR-820

Benjamin Naber Benjamin at Project23D.com
Fri Oct 27 01:00:26 UTC 2017

A friend and I both use the TKR-820s at home.

We discovered that his sounded "better" when he added a resistor L-
network, which consisted of a 4.7k and 470 ohm resistors, in the TX
audio path, from the URI to the LI of the repeater.

The TX audio out from the URI goes to the radio audio in has the 4.7k
resistor in series. The 470 ohm resistor, connects to the 'radio' side
of the 4.7k, and is connected to GND.

Something to consider adding to your URI -> radio's TX audio path if
you find that Allison sounds over deviated when you can barely hear
her.

You should not connect any wires to the audio GND, as they are floating
grounds.

You may find that you have to add a toroid, wrapped several times with
the TX and RX audio leads, to eliminate common mode, else stray RF
getting into the URI and TX audio input paths. When you hear someone
elses node, usually the portable RPi's with HTs, the buzz you hear, is
RF getting into the audio leads. Not a fun problem to fix as it does
take some testing to get the RF choke in the right spot.

When connecting the audio out from the URL into the repeater, I half-
witted solder the audio in wire to the MIC input of the repeater, and
hence not very good audio. I am going to fix that tonight!

~Benjamin, KB9LFZ