[App_rpt-users] Static IP Config

Loren Tedford loren at lorentedford.com
Tue Apr 10 00:18:25 UTC 2018

I just realized some might not understand what a gate ip is or broadcast etc.. So here is a demo example of how you could configure this.

Via ssh command line
nano /etc/network/interfaces

### Put the following in

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
  address 192.168.9.100
  netmask 255.255.255.255
  broadcast 192.168.9.100
  gateway 192.168.9.1
  dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8
## Just to be sure gateway is working correctly add the below
  post-up /sbin/ip route add 192.168.9.1  dev eth0
  post-up /sbin/ip route add default via 192.168.9.1
  pre-down /sbin/ip route delete 192.168.9.1 dev eth0
  pre-down /sbin/ip route delete default via 192.168.9.1

## End of /etc/network/interfaces

For ip’s not on the same network segment often times like in data center environments you will have to do some thing like this. Below is an example keep in mind typically all these ip’s will be public ip’s not private ip’s

Via ssh command line
nano /etc/network/interfaces

### Put the following in

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
  address 192.168.9.100
  netmask 255.255.255.255
  broadcast 192.168.9.100
  gateway 10.0.0.254
  dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8  ##Use their DNS name servers Trust me!
## Just to be sure gateway is working correctly add the below
  post-up /sbin/ip route add 10.0.0.254  dev eth0
  post-up /sbin/ip route add default via 10.0.0.254
  pre-down /sbin/ip route delete 10.0.0.254 dev eth0
  pre-down /sbin/ip route delete default via 10.0.0.254

## End of /etc/network/interfaces

Loren Tedford (KC9ZHV)
Phone Main: 1+ (631) 686 – 8878 Option 1
Fax: 1-618-551-2755
Email: loren at lorentedford.com
Email: KC9ZHV at KC9ZHV.com
http://www.lorentedford.com