[App_rpt-users] AllStar Network Maintenance Announcement

Bryan Fields Bryan at bryanfields.net
Fri Aug 10 05:11:45 UTC 2018

AllStar Network Maintenance Announcement

Summary

   During the evening on Sunday August 12, 2018 between 0400 to 0600 UTC,
   the AllStar Operations Team will perform a migration of registration and
   nodes servers.  During this time, registration may be unavailable, and/or
   the portal may be unavailable via the website and via phone.

   We expect this migration to be completed in two hours time or backed out.

Detailed notes

   AllStarLink is committed to the availability of our core network
   services. That's why we are migrating registration onto a modern server
   system.  Our current server is about 9 years old and while we've seen no
   failures of hardware, prudent engineering dictates it must be replaced
   with newer hardware.

   The current server does much more than IAX registration of nodes; there's
   database, web portal, SIP access, proxy, nodelist generation and more.
   Many of these functions are not core network functions, meaning if the
   function is down, users can still register nodes and connect to other
   nodes.  An example of this is the stats server, or the web portal. Either
   can be offline, but the network will still function.

   The Operations Team has built and tested a new registration server and
   new nodes servers which serve up the extnodes database files. Our team
   has been testing this for the last few months internally, and believes
   it's ready for production.  We expect a much faster convergence time for
   node registration due to our new faster servers, better scripting and
   lighter load the servers.

   Our testing includes all major and historical AllStar versions, dating
   back to limey linux and ACID.  We know many users have older hardware
   installed on a mountain or other inaccessible site, and requiring a node
   upgrade is not feasible.

   Any users requiring un-interrupted service between AllStar nodes are
   encouraged to use permanent linking and/or statically define nodes in
   their rpt.conf [nodes] section.

Additional information

   A MOP or Method of Procedure is in-place for this maintenance with clear
   go/no-go steps and a back-out plan should we find any insurmountable
   problems.  An update will be posted to the app_rpt mailing list once this
   is completed.

   The AllStarLink app_rpt mailing list provides a discussion forum and
   access to the admin and development teams.  We encourage all users to
   join and participate.

Status of this Notice

   This notice provides information for the community. Distribution of this
   notice is unlimited.

Copyright

   Copyright (C) AllStarLink, Inc (2018).  All Rights Reserved.

- --
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice
http://bryanfields.net