[App_rpt-users] Still Working on Migration

Tim Sawyer tisawyer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 23:19:31 UTC 2018

I've received a couple of requests to up date the status of the new
registration system. I'm a bit out of the know as I'm on a long planned
vacation. I do know the Allstar team continues working on the new
registration system.

It appears the NAT issue is fixed. To review -- we attempted to switch the
IAX port to the node provided port rather than the port configured in the
Allstarlink portal. While that worked for the vast majority of folks,
others would have had to reconfigure their network and still fewer could
not be fixed period. We learned a thing or two from this process which will
only make AllStar better.

As Bryan has mentioned we switched the registration system from a single
server in LA to three servers across the US. We updated to a later version
of Asterisk and the database has been updated to the latest version. The
goal is, of course, to eliminate a single point of failure. The old server
was on its last legs. Asterisk was rebooting every 10 to 15 minutes. It was
running CentOS 5.7. While some were insisting we switch back to the old
server, it's end was near. Had that server crashed beyond repair things
would have been really unacceptable.

Security has also been improved. We've implemented IPSEC, firewalls and
probably other security tools I know nothing about. I'm not a security guy
so one of our other guys will need to talk to that as appropriate.

My understanding is that the few remaining registration problems stem from
the new Asterisk software. We are approaching 3000 nodes. It is unheard of
in the Asterisk PBX world to have 3000 phones (read nodes) on a single
server. It's the main reason our Asterisk was crashing so often. Our
developers are working hard to overcome this limitation. We've been told it
can't be done. As hams we have accomplished the impossible many times
thought our history. I'm hopeful we can advance the art once again.

Your continued patience is greatly appreciated.

--
Tim WD6AWP