[App_rpt-users] CM119 USB interface

Brian G gravesb at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 00:28:11 UTC 2018

Hi all, Merry Christmas

My local club is working on setting up a few ASL nodes, and I've been busy
modifying some CM119 based USB sound cards to control the radios. I'm using
this card/dongle:
https://www.amazon.ca/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-Adapter-C-Media-Chipset/dp/B001MSS6CS

I've done several so far and have a few nodes working great with CTCSS
carrier detect. One issue I'm consistently running into, is when setting
the "RX Squelch Level" in the radio-tune-menu, it detects the current RX
signal strength as 999. This results in the inability to use anything other
than CTCSS for carrier detect. I can make plain old VOX work too, but it
results in considerable (2 sec+) hang time.

Using DSP carrier detect won't work because it's impossible to set the
squelch high enough (max value 999). It always thinks there's a signal
present when there isn't. This happens regardless of whether there's a
radio connected to the dongle or not. As a matter of fact it happens even
when plugging in an unmodified dongle right out of the package. I need it
to work with no CTCSS. VOX would be fine if it wasn't for the hang time,
but would rather use the DSP option in usbradio.conf.

I assume it's just the nature of the beast, and if I want it done properly
I need an adapter and radio capable of COS. But maybe someone knows if
there's something that can be done or not?  Anyone have any insight on how
to either eliminate the VOX hang time, or eliminate that "invisible"
signal? I might be overlooking something. Thanks for reading!
--
Brian - VA3DXV