[App_rpt-users] CM119 USB interface

Kevin Custer kuggie at kuggie.com
Mon Dec 24 04:24:04 UTC 2018

Brian,

Signal Strength is determined by the noise level of the inputted audio
from the receiver.  Normally, with audio from a good discriminator
source, calibrated by the radio tune rxnoise command, you'll have a
signal strength of around 500 to 600 with NO signal.  This is shown by
inputting the command "radio tune rxsquelch".  This number goes up as
the noise level is reduced (from an increasing signal level making the
FM receiver quiet).

A level of 999 with the adapter unplugged from the receiver is the
expected result.  The adapter/application doesn't know if the receiver
has reached full quieting or if the audio has simply disappeared from
the adapter.  The result is the same no matter which happened.

In the case, no signal input results in an audio signal that's full of
broadband noise.  It's a loud white noise.  When the receiver quiets,
the amount of white noise is reduced, to a point of "full quieting"
where the receiver is not outputting much or any noise.  This is why a
strong signal into the receiver shows as 999 and no signal results in
something between 0 and 500 or so.

Again, this all points to muted audio from the receiver, and that by
definition is NOT discriminator audio.  Real discriminator audio is not
muted, or filtered in any way.  Please have a look at the discriminator
audio from your receiver and make sure noise is there when the receiver
is not hearing a valid signal.

Kevin