[App_rpt-users] Allstar Node

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Thu Dec 27 01:14:14 UTC 2018

My reasoning is simple--if private intellectual property is
unintentionally released, which scenario is least damaging:

1. A binary blob that can't be easily reverse engineered and can only be
used in a very specific, limited scope way.

2. A source code file that once disclosed can be copied by anyone
in the future, for ever more. Something like:

		void my_secret_spy_function() {
			//
			// patented or licensed algorithms
			//
			//
		}

I would argue that #1 would be the least damaging to an unknown owner's
intellectual property rights. At least an attempt has been made to limit
the damage to any intellectual property, while waiting for the dust to
clear.

Twenty two months ago, I fully expected a new copyright owner to emerge,
once Jim's Estate was settled---easing many of my concerns.  Those were
the claims being made at that time.  Now, with the records of what has
actually transpired, I really don't know what to think.

It's pointless to argue semantics any further.

73, David KB4FXC