[App_rpt-users] Allstar Node

Willem Schreuder willem at prinmath.com
Thu Dec 27 00:21:45 UTC 2018

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018, David McGough wrote:

> So, what happens if a supposed copyright owner shows up 10 years from now
> and says:  "That code or function (or whatever) was never GPL2 and should
> never have been released!" ---and they have reasonable proof?

I'm not sure I understand the argument.

Are you saying that it is not appropriate to share the source, because you
are not sure that the it is covered under the GPL?  In that case, are you
not opening yourself to greater liability by continuing to modify and use
it, if you are not sure whether it is covered by the GPL or not.

The whole point of the GPL is that once the code is released under the GPL
that there is an explicit grant to EVERYBODY to do with the code as they
see fit, the only restriction being that you must continue to share the
source.

It seems to me that if you comply with the GPL, you have a reasonable
argument that you acted in good faith and you can claim innocent
infingement, regardless of who the original copyright holder is.

If on the other hand it is true that the GPL does not apply, you are quite
right to worry about modifying and redistributing the code.

I apologize if I misundertood your argument, but I am not following.
-Willem

Dr. Willem A. Schreuder,  President,  Principia Mathematica
Address:  445 Union Blvd, Suite 230,  Lakewood, CO  80228, USA
Tel: (303) 716-3573   Fax: (303) 716-3575
WWW: www.prinmath.com   Email: Willem.Schreuder at prinmath.com