[App_rpt-users] Mini Computers

Dave Maciorowski wa1jhk at macski.us
Sun Feb 4 19:53:33 UTC 2018

Hi All,

I'd like to know more about your setups, Jay's that are working and Jon and Skyler's that have issues.  Do you use simpleusb or usbradio?  What USB-to-audio interface are you using including the line returned by the lsusb command.  Here's mine:

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0d8c:000e C-Media Electronics, Inc. Audio Adapter (Planet UP-100, Genius G-Talk)

I ask because I'm chasing an interface issue that might be related.

Thanks.

   Dave
   WA1JHK

On 2/4/2018 9:47 AM, JJC wrote:
> I wish that I had a magic formula for you.  All that I can say is that we run minimal setups (least possible number of running processes and installed packages) on the Pis and we are sure to use the correct audio COR interfaces etc... We also are meticulous in setting up levels using service monitors of all of the radios themselves.  I help to maintain a large system (That Skyler has used frequently in the past) which is primarily run on PIs and we have not had any of the issues that you guys are experiencing.  Wish I could be of more help, but I truly do not believe that it's an issue caused by the Pi.
>
> JJC
> N0PKT
>
> On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 8:57 AM, REDBUTTON_CTRL <jrorke at cogeco.ca <mailto:jrorke at cogeco.ca>> wrote:
>
>     I too have had the sputtering audio issues. Mostly it starts to degrade over a few days. I have run dial on Pi2 s and HP thin clients. and so far all of them need periodic reboots or asterisk restarts to clean up the audio.
>
>     I am using DIAL Full DSP with tone encode and decode. Some units have 2 or 3 or nodes. Even a single node pi does it.
>     So if you have a magic set up that fixes this I would like to hear about it.
>
>     In one case I had to put back a full desk top pc to keep from having to re set on a daily basis.
>     Pcs dont seem to suffer from the motor boating issue.
>
>     Jon VA3RQ
>

>     On 2/3/2018 9:26 PM, JJC wrote:
>
>         Skyler,
>
>         I’ll have to disagree with your statements completely.  I have not only personally load-tested but I have and know of many high traffic systems that are running with zero “sputter” or issue.l on a Pi. Several have been on the air and running for well over a year.
>
>         I am also running one system in conjunction with DMRLink and transcoding audio (read a much heavier demand on System resources) from DMR<->  Analog with no “sputter”.  Granted the transcoding is offloaded to a separate chip but nonetheless.  On all of these systems running on a Pi 2 or 3 the system load from asterisk, DMRLink etc all combined never exceeds 15% and the audio is always clean ( not withstanding network craziness ).
>
>         So having said all of this I would look elsewhere for what may be causing your audio ailments.  I can’t really point you in a specific direction other than to review overall system load and performance inline with general system administration best practices.  And of course standard troubleshooting methods of hardware swapping/testing and validation.
>
>         JJC
>         N0PKT
>
>         Sent from the iRoad, so please ignore any typos or awesome autocorrects
>
>             On Feb 3, 2018, at 18:19, Skyler F<electricity440 at gmail.com <mailto:electricity440 at gmail.com>> wrote:

> [...]

---