[App_rpt-users] Remote already in this mode message

Jon Rorke jrorke at cogeco.ca
Thu Jan 4 15:42:48 UTC 2018

Chuck is correct. We have a weekly net on one of our hubs and there is
one node that connects to the hub for the net. It is attempting to
reconnect every 5 or 10 minutes.
On most of the nodes that connect for the net we have set up the
telemetry for "timed telemetry"  in the rpt.conf file.

telemdefault=2            ; timed local telemetry

This turns off the connection announcements during the net unless you
issue a command locally then the telemetry is enabled for about 5
minutes then goes silent.
But not all of the nodes have this setting so those nodes will spew out
the "remote already in this mode" messages.

It is very annoying. Unfortunately the telemetry setting is not the fix
but a band aid solution.

In our case we know the offending node # but cant get a hold of the
owner to tell then to fix it.
And on top of that they are connecting with a persistent connection to
the hub so we can t dump them at our end.

I dont know what the problem with their node is unless they are running
some sort of script or cron job that does the reconnection instead of
the normal ilink commands for persistent connection.

In the functions stanza:

91=ilink,13            ; establish perm link to xxxx
92=ilink,11            ; disconnect perm link xxxx

So instead of using *3(NODE) to connect you would use *91(NODE) or
*92(NODE ) to disconnect a persistent link.
*1(NODE) will not disconnect a persistent link, must use the *92 in that
case.

If the perm connections are done using this method then there should be
no reconnection messages sent to all the other connected nodes. The node
will attempt to reconnect silently to keep a persistent connection.

hope this helps.

Jon VA3RQ